Wednesday 15 August 2007

Shiku at Humble Hearts School

Beatrice the director was saying to Shiku that it will be very difficult for her to find someone to replace my wife at the School because Shiku was very active in everything that goes on at Humble Hearts - she will go and interpret for the Deaf children, she will support Deaf teachers, she will ensure that KSL is used (when she can) at Humble Hearts etc. As you can see below in the first photograph, Shiku is in shock-pink, with lovely Beatrice in her sleeveless top with Tobias the Deaf teacher and Beatrice's mother in the zig-zag dress.
Tomorrow will be her last day at Humble Hearts - she was staying for another two weeks to give the older children extra tutition at the summer school - she was very delighted when Beatrice have asked her if she can be in charge of the summer school.

When the school was closed for the summer two weeks ago, they insisted that Shiku had to attend the end-of-year party for the teachers as she wanted to leave early for Kerugoya. She emailed me asking me if she should go. I said go, as it was to be her last full day at Humble Hearts.
When she came, it turned out to be a surprise farewell party for her. She was very emotional about it! As you see the photo above (the 2nd one), you can see her colleagues, the teachers at Humble Hearts in the staff room. I took the photo way back in June when I was over in Nairobi. They were very delighted to hear about me and Shiku.

Shiku said that she was glad I did bring her to go and work at Humble Hearts - because I was very concerned that she didn't teach deaf children for two years (she used to teach younger children at Kerugoya School for the Deaf but she left to work at a hearing school near Kikuyu Town where her mate owned a private school) - I remember meeting her again after many years at Hilton Nairobi - she can't sign properly (very rusty) but thankfully her pretty KSL is now back!

No comments: